National Applied Research Laboratories (NARLabs) will be offering internship opportunities to foreign master and PhD students who study in domestic and foreign universities. Through this program, NARLabs intends to provide scholarship to students, who’re interested in a handson research and practical experience at one of NARLabs’ research centers. The goal of the program is to encourage research exchanges with foreign colleges and universities and research institutions, promote crossborder internship.
Application is opened for students working on the 4 fields, including (1) Earth & Environ-ment, (2) Information & Communication Technology, (3) Biomedical Technology, (4) Science & Technology Policy.
Content of the Program
The students’ allowance is included in the scholarship.
The scholarship rate is NT$6,500 per week for master students and NT$8,000 per week for PhD students, the 18% of taxes will be deducted.
The costs of airfare and insurance shall be borne by the International Interns.
The period of the internship is ten to twelve weeks; if there are special needs, subject to the approval of the research unit, the period of the internship may be extended by up to four weeks.
Please refer to the Application Guidelines for full details. All required application documents are to be sent by email to email@example.com.
The application will be reviewed upon receipt of the same. However, the application should be submitted by the end of August each year.
Results will be notified within 2 months of receiving the application.
National Applied Research Laboratories
International Affairs Office
Tel: +886 2 27378023
Fax: +886 2 27378044
The applicant must:
- be foreign nationality master or PhD students
- be in the fields of study related to one of listed NARLab’s research centers:
- National Laboratory Animal Center (NLAC)
- National Center for Research on Earthquake Engineering(NCREE)
- National Center for High-performance Computing (NCHC)
- Taiwan Semiconductor Research Institute (TSRI)
- Taiwan Instrument Research Institute (TIRI)
- Science & Technology Policy Research and Information Center (STPI)
- Taiwan Ocean Research Institute (TORI)
- be qualified for animal experiment and experienced with medium and large animal surgery for applying NLAC
- With experiences related to biomedical optoelectronics, biochemistry or molecular bi-ology for applying TIRI.
- Application form (typed)
- Two recommendation letters (typed)
- Latest official academic transcript
- A copy of student ID card
- A copy of the photo page of passport
- A headshot photo
- optional supporting documents: English or Chinese proficiency test scores
Please note that all submitted material will not be returned.
Other Internship Conditions
- The student will be responsible for his or her travel allowance, including airfare and insurance, and housing arrangement during the entire duration of the internship program.
- The relevant research unit may request an oral report before the end of the intern-ship.
- At the end of the internship, the student is required to submit a report to the hosting NARLabs’ center.
- Students should report to the assigned center. If students change centers without ap-proval, NARLabs shall withdraw the internship offer.
- Students should report to work on time and should not be late or leave early.
- All types of absences require filling out an application and providing supporting doc-uments. Approval must be obtained from the supervisor. If the number of days of ab-sence amount to more than a third of the internship period, the student will be deemed to have quit the internship.
- Except in cases of serious illness or accidents, it is strictly prohibited to take time off by telephone. Requests for absences should be handled in person. ]
- Policies for absences:
- Sick leave: students should ask supervisor for leave on the day of the sickness be-fore going to the doctor and submit the proof as soon as possible thereafter.
- Personal leave: personal leave shall be handled in advance. In case of emergen-cies, students must telephone the supervisor to ask for leave and submit leave application thereafter. If not, then the personal leave will be considered absence without approval.
- Bereavement leave: students may submit application when the event occurs and the proof thereafter. Students do not have to make up internship hours due to bereavement leave.
- Official leave: students must provide proof to the supervisor in advance from their respective schools if participating in school activities.
- Absence without approval: if students did not submit leave application or the applica-tion was not approved, NARLabs shall withdraw the internship offer if such number of days amount to seven days.